?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 
 
21 July 2013 @ 08:28 pm
Changing times  
I'm really struggling with the Sherlock fandom at the moment. It's been years since I've been sucked into a tv show that's still airing and I'd forgotten how hard it is to avoid spoilers, I already know more about S3 than I want to. I thought I'd be safe just staying away from all the pretty on Tumblr but it's even cropping up on facebook now.

Speaking of facebook - there's this one page I've "liked" so that its posts show up in my feed. The admin is pretty young, judging by the comments she makes, but she gets some interesting stuff to post. However there's one thing that makes me wonder if I'm missing something, or if she's simply too young to know?

She uses "headcannon" a lot, complete with the double n. Someone pointed out the correct spelling to her but she ignored them and continues to spell it like that. Moreover, I'm not sure that her usage of it is correct; for example she recently mentioned that she didn't have time to turn something into a proper-length fic so she just made a headcannon out of it. I'm wondering if she's simply misunderstood the meaning of the word; she had previously asked her page followers to post their favourite headcannon on the page, and a number of people left little ficlets in the comments. Is the meaning of the word evolving, along with the spelling? Gah, maybe I'm just getting too old to realise that things are changing!
 
 
Current Mood: pensivepensive
 
 
 
Strike while the irony is hot: [EMATE] CUPPA WATSONdraycevixen on July 21st, 2013 03:29 pm (UTC)

She's definitely wrong in her spelling and I'd say in her application too.

There's become a trend of writers, particularly on Tumblr, posting what they call "meta fic" which are actually just rambles about head canon rather than real meta fic so perhaps she's choosing to use "headcannon" in that way?

I was only on Facebook for about a month but I can't imagine following fandom there.
miwahni: Sherlock Keep calm and trust sherlockmiwahni on July 22nd, 2013 10:25 am (UTC)
She's definitely wrong in her spelling and I'd say in her application too.
Thanks for the confirmation - I was wondering if the world was just passing me by.... but no, she's just young and oblivious.

I don't follow fandom on FB so much as peek through its curtains occasionally. Mainly FB is a way of keeping in touch with people I used to work with, and my niece and nephew. Plus cat fancy friends. It's nice to know what everyone is up to!
Newsynewsy891 on July 21st, 2013 04:49 pm (UTC)
I find that "smile, nod and back away slowly" is a good reaction to 85% of the Internet, and "take what you like and leave the rest" is good for the remaining 15%. Be glad this girl is part of the 15%. =D
miwahni: Sherlock Wrong animatedmiwahni on July 22nd, 2013 10:26 am (UTC)
Hee, I have to agree with that... there's far too much crazy out there. I was just wondering if the meaning of the word had mutated without me being aware of it.