Log in

No account? Create an account
25 October 2014 @ 01:26 am
and then... and then... and then...  
Took a sick day off work today (well technically yesterday as it's now 1am) - first one in ten months at current job - so that I could go to the doctor; I've been swallowing around a lump in my throat for the past two weeks and it was just getting ridiculous. Turned out to be the busiest day I've had in a long time. Doctor's appointment wasn't until 2pm; what to do, what to do in the meantime, and for the rest of the day?

Firstly Ikea happened. As it does. I wanted some shelves for my bedroom, short metal shelves with curved ends, and by placing an upside down shelf above a right way up shelf you create an instant bookend. Which means you need an even number of shelves to achieve it. By the time I finally found the ones I was looking for I was a minute too late; there was already a guy looking at them, and he ended up picking up a whole armful of them, leaving three. Three. I only needed one more! Searched around but no, definitely only three. Helpful sales lady explained that all stock was on the shelves, but if I come back next week they should have more in *sigh*. I hot-footed it through the rest of the shop (anyone who's been to Ikea will know what I mean!) looking out for the guy with the intention of asking him if he really needed all of the ones he'd bought, or if he could spare just one, but there was no sight of him. Ah well, another trip to Ikea will just need to happen.

And then, as I was in the general area, I called in at the Ford dealer's to have another look at the lovely red XR6 they had advertised. It was out for a test drive, though, so that came to nought. Probably just as well, as I got my car assessed for trade-in value and it came in a few grand short of what I'd need for a comfortable changeover.

The doctor's appointment was a bit of an anticlimax; waiting for over half an hour to finally see the doctor for around ten minutes. The lump in my throat is due to swelling, caused by reflux - I'm glad it's something as benign as that, but had to laugh when he told me to knock off the alcohol. *g*. He gave me a script for something to take every night; when I had the script made up, the chemist told me to take it every morning before breakfast, wtf? Apparently if I take it in the morning I get the benefit of it all day. Makes sense. But it's odd, taking direction from the chemist rather than the doctor. And I just typed "ood" instead of "odd", in the same sentence as the word "doctor".

After that I had a look at dishwashers; my current one was new I think when Adam was a boy, and can't have long to go now. The other night when I turned it on it worked for about ten minutes then sat there making a strange clicking noise, all the while spewing soapy water all over my kitchen floor. I don't think they're meant to do that... anyway I turned it off, and on again, and it worked okay. For now.

Also bought a new dress, on my way to the supermarket... that wasn't supposed to happen either.

Tonight was my regular visit to my sister, and Who-ing, and just generally catching up. And now I'm yawning, my feet and legs are really tired (again, Ikea!) and I am not long for bed.
Current Mood: draineddrained
byslantedlight: DW Tardislightning (latenightbloom)byslantedlight on October 24th, 2014 05:35 pm (UTC)
Oh, cool day! I quite like busy days like that sometimes, although it'd be nicer to feel as if you'd got more done... and yet, new dress, new dishwashers, new DW... *g*

The medication thing is odd - I tend to trust doctors over pharmacists, because the doctors know your personal medical history and how it matches with the prescription requirements. The standard print-on-the-medication requirements aren't always what's best for an individual with specific requirements, cos most meds fit far more circumstances than just one of course... If doc told you to take it at night (before bed, did she mean?) and pharmacist said before breakfast, maybe it's just that this one needs to be taken on an empty stomach, which could go either way...? Hmmn - can you tell I've been looking into meds recently?! Glad your throat thing wasn't like my throat thing, btw, yours sounds like a lot less hassle!
miwahni: Dr Who Bananamiwahni on October 25th, 2014 01:29 pm (UTC)
I did some googling, because of the discrepancy, and because there were no instructions at all inside the box - not even a list of possible side-effects, just a note advising one to go to the website for information - and it's best taken an hour before a meal, whether morning or night, as long as it's regular. So mornings actually work better for me. And this is the first, and possibly the last time I see that doctor (and that's another story by itself) so he has none of my previous history.

I looked up Hashimoto's after you mentioned it, and it does sound like a lot of hassle. My sister had her thyroid removed completely after it developed a cancerous spot and she is doing fine without, now that her meds have stabilised. I hope you reach that point too (stability, that is, not cancerous cells!)